When considering a procedure like NovaSure® Endometrial Ablation, it is important for you to understand and consider all the other treatment options available to you. Most treatments are only temporary, while NovaSure and hysterectomy represent one-time treatment options. Please carefully review the options listed below and discuss these options with your doctor to help you determine if the NovaSure procedure is the right choice for you.
|NovaSure Endometrial Ablation||Hormone
|Description||Simple, safe procedure that removes uterine lining while preserving the uterus to reduce or eliminate bleeding||Device inserted into the uterus that releases a steady amount of progestins, which can help control bleeding||Estrogen/ progestin used for select low-risk patients||Surgical procedure used to temporarily control heavy bleeding by scraping the inside of the uterus|
To continue learning about NovaSure please continue with Contraception with NovaSure
1. Istre O, et al. Treatment of menorrhagia with levonorgestrel intrauterine system versus endometrial resection. Fertil Steril. 2001; 76:304-309.
2. Hurskainen R, et al. Clinical outcomes and costs with the levonorgestrel releasing intrauterine system or hysterectomy for treatment of menorrhagia: randomized trial 5-year follow-up. JAMA. 2004; 291:1456-1463.
3. Mirena [page insert]. Wayne, NJ: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2007.
4. Backman T, Huhtala S, Blom T, Luoto R, Rauramo I, Koskenvuo M. Length of use and symptoms associated with premature removal of levonorgestrel intrauterine system: a nation-wide study of 17,360 users. BJOG 2000; 107:335-9.
5. Cooper KG, et al. A randomised comparison of medical and hysteroscopic management in women consulting a gynaecologist for treatment of heavy menstrual loss. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997; 104:1360-1366.
6. Singh RH, et al. Hormonal management of abnormal uterine bleeding. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 48:337-352.
7. Decherney AH, et al. Current Obstetric & Gynecologic Diagnosis & Treatment, ninth edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2003.
The information above was obtained from the Hologic NovaSure website.
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
8:30 AM - 12:30 PM